CHARLEY HARPER: A BIRD'S EYE VIEW

Earlier this morning, I walked up to the building where I took my design classes at the University of Cincinnati to check out the last day of "Charley Harper: A Bird's Eye View".


It was "a retrospective view of Charley Harper's career. Many never before seen works will be on view, beginning with his childhood and tracing a path throughout his career, providing a unique insight into the development of the icon maker we know today."


I loved seeing his process... there were many mock-ups/sketches with the finished piece next to it. I also enjoyed seeing his earlier works including paintings, pencil sketches of his time in Europe during WWII, and work by his wife.


These originals for Golden Books series were amazing to see in person. And the spot illustrations were great..


This was a wonderful exhibit that I was fortunate to see... and happy to see it at my alma mater.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I got to see this over the weekend. I especially loved seeing the entire range of output throughout his life, including the work he did as a kid and the collaborations with Brett and Edie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post. I just acquired that pice on the far left with the 3 lady bugs. Love Charley Harper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @maya... yes, it was great seeing his earlier works.

    @sandi... i really liked that poster!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh, I would have loved to see this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful and inspiring. I love the presentation of his prints here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm so jealous! i adore charley harper :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the illustrations for the Golden Books series! I'd never heard of Charley Harper, so I'm glad you posted about him :-)

    ReplyDelete