THRIFT ROUND-UP :: JULY 4TH WEEKEND

Whenever I travel regionally, I usually make it a point to carve out some time to thrift. Last holiday weekend, on the way to and from my parents, I stopped at about eight Dayton-area thrift stores. Here are some of the better items I found...


Check out this great floor lamp. I love its modness. There is no label or mark. It was kinda expensive at $25, but I felt it was worth it. It reminds me of those fold-up music stands you used to practice your band instrument at home. I'm not sure if I will keep it or put it in the shop.


These four black candle holders are a mystery. They look alike at first glance, but there are actually two sets of two. One set has the original price tag on the bottom that reads, "Oaxaca $6.00" and the second pair has a price tag that reads "Sanborns $150.00"... Yikes! So are these some kind of fancy mid-century modern candle holders or are they tourist trinkets from Mexico?


I found these great plates by Berggren and almost passed because I thought they weren't vintage. iPhone to the rescue... I looked it up and found they are indeed vintage. And I couldn't pass on these two great coffee mugs.


I have a fondness for items covered in type... especially when they are mod. So the in/out file box and the "salad" bowl came home with me. They'll make great additions to the shop.


Everyone loves paint-by-numbers, so these three made the cut. I like the European seaside setting of the large piece and the two smaller ones are a nice pair.

I found a lot of other great stuff, but these are the items I wanted to share with you. What have all of you thrifted recently?

16 comments:

  1. Goodness me, you found some fab stuff that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All great finds, you really do have a great eye for editing and only bringing home the best mod finds. I need to adapt this quality! I love the items covered in type and the paint by numbers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm nursing a fractured foot and at the mercy of others for the time being. The thrifting has been severely impacted, sad to say.

    I do love that lamp, though. Reminds me a bit of a vintage hair dryer at the salon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I passed up that lamp a few weeks ago. I remember it because my mom remarked that it looked just like a music stand. Good grab.

    And I love the paint-by-numbers; we have a German paint-by-numbers harlequin girl that we found in Vermont for $5 a few years back, and it's easily become my favorite piece in our apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @kylie... yes, i was lucky this time! i love that lamp!

    @van... i love those items with the type, too. i'm a sucker for that stuff!

    @jackie... hope you feel better! sorry you can't go thrifting... that'd drive me nuts!

    @zan... oooo, pbns harlequin girl... total kitsch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Damn, that lamp is a nice score. Going to post some of my recent thrift finds sometime soon!

    Cheers, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  7. @chris... can't wait to see! maybe we should go thrifting together someday.

    @jessica... i am not sure. right now i think i might keep it. but i might change my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just found your blog! Wow! Will pour myself a nice glass of red this evening, settle in my favorite chair and read everything :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. just discovered you via thriftcore. love your blog and your etsy store too; beautiful finds - i am also in love with things covered in type and your recent finds reminded me that i just wanted the documentary "Helvetica", which is a fascinating look at this typeface. i highly recommend it if you haven't already seen it; as a designer, you'll get more out of it than the rest of us, i'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @sandi... thanks! it was a good thrifting trip.

    @maine... wow, that's great! thanks for stopping by.

    @thrift... i have seen that documentary and loved it. thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many lovely things! Especially the lamp and the rooster plates AND the candle holders!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, great haul! I too like the unique lamp and I'm a sucker for self-identifying typographic items, I just picked up a "Big Brown Mug" at the thrift yesterday.

    I'm about to embark on a thrifting road trip to Grand Rapids, Michigan so hopefully there will be lots of finds to report!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @dabito... good finds, for sure!

    @leilani... there should be lots of great things in michigan!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my gosh that lamp is awesome!! would you mind telling me where you went thrifting in dayton? that's where the husband and i are moving to, and i don't know ANYTHING about the area. i am so glad that you commented on my blog so that i could read yours- i am really enjoying your posts.

    :)ally
    www.feverthrift.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete