WHAT I DIDN'T BUY :: KENTUCKY EDITION

For those of you who don't know, Cincinnati is on the Ohio/Kentucky border. The southern suburbs are in Kentucky. So the other day I decided to head down south and check out seven thrift stores in the Bluegrass State.

The thrift gods weren't with me... I only found one item in all the seven stores where I stopped (perhaps I used up all my thrifting karma a few weeks ago). I also stopped at a thrift store back in Ohio closer to my place and found a few more items. But this post is about all the stuff I didn't buy, so let's not get sidetracked...


KY schools start earlier than most... in fact some of my teacher friends start teaching this week. So these Thermoses got my attention right when I walked in the door of this shop. Thermoses never sell well in the shop, and I've never really been a fan myself. So they stayed put.


Another school-like object, these tiny file drawers were a nice stand-out. I'm pretty sure they held 8.5 x 11 sized paper. They'd be great for a home office or studio.


I always come across a lot of religious art in the area... it's the Mid-West, after all. This kitschy Last Supper made out of crushed plastic pieces stood out. But its size would make it awkward to ship. And the crewel flowers were nice, but it didn't scream at me to take it home.


The pepper mills were also cool, but they just didn't have that je ne sais quoi. The bird was cool, too. It was signed by someone in Peru. But, same as the pepper mills, it just didn't speak to me.


These lamps were interesting. I almost bought one of the desk lamps. The other one didn't work. I had just bought a great lamp at the place where I stopped right before this shop or else I would have bought it.

What are some thing you didn't buy last week?

10 comments:

  1. I too didn't buy a salt and pepper shaker. They were from Mexico and signed with the date 1978. They were wood and had neat carvings on them but I wasn't sure where I would put them. I'm not much for buying thrift store items for culinary purposes (just decor); I usually say no to plates, bowls, kitchen tools etc. How do you feel about it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That wood lamp is pretty cool, has a very mid century modern feel to it. I passed on a 1960s globe, but picked up a nice red plaid travel case, Ken doll 1968, and some 50s/60s plastic Germany costume strand necklaces all at the same church rummage sale down the street. I love church rummage sales!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We went thrifting in Buffalo this week and passed on lots of mid century chairs and tables. We did find our new front door and a formica end table with danish legs I just couldn't pass up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been passing up desk lamps like the one in your picture too. And I agree on the thermoses - they just don't do well for us in the shop. The bird is kinda cool - I might've popped on it, if it was cheap enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the thermos set and file drawers; those would really come in handy for my crafting habit. Something about a grouping of thermoses inspires me, so I collect them.

    One thing I'm leaving behind now are owls, they're not the hot seller I thought they'd be for my antique store booth. They have to be super low-priced for me to make a profit and vendors price them too high at flea markets/antique stores now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these posts. I would NOT have passed on that bird - love the colors and design. Now what would be the odds that it is still there when you go back? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't buy an old typewriter for $25. But after watching Captain America, I kinda want it now. That's all. Those drawers are fun! It's like a small flat file.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those thermoses (thermoses? thermii?)! And that bird would definitely find a home with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've given up thrifting after moving across country and having to get rid of so many of my wonderful finds over the years. I used to collect aprons, toilet seat cozies, crocheted afghans, vintage sheets, all for my art supplies. The other thing I loved to buy were partially finished embroidery kits. I always thought a partially finished embroidery show would be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad I found a fellow Cincinnatian who is a thrifter and blogger like me! I love your blog and I love that wooden lamp. What store is this in Kentucky?

    ReplyDelete