WHAT I DID'T BUY :: ART

I'm always on the look out for unique vintage wall art. It sells fairly well in the shop and is a great way to decorate my own place. It's an inexpensive way to add some original art to your home which can make a huge statement especially when it's larger or when you group it together on one wall.

Below is some art I found while thrifting but didn't bring home with me...


I collect hand painted portraits. But that doesn't mean I buy everyone I see. It depends on the price, then condition and what my gut tells me. This is a great thing to keep in mind for other collections that you might have... don't buy everything just because you want a collection... only buy what you love.

The two portraits above were alright, but they didn't speak to me. I liked how jolly the man was but it just didn't have that certain something that I want to see. And the child was just kind of creepy.


I don't mind prints, especially when they are kitschy and quirky like these. But these pieces are more Shabby Chic/Bohemian than I like. They'd do well in the shop, but they were too expensive.


I'm always attracted to string art. My dad made a bunch and hung them in his office. Whenever I see one I always think of him. The two above were in poor condition so they stayed at the thrift store.


I love mod, abstract art. The mirror above was cool, but also had a county-fair-not-cool vibe that I didn't like. The Japanese style print was also cool, but it was really big. I didn't love it enough to buy for myself, and it was too big to sell in the shop.

What DIDN'T you buy at the thrift store lately?

2 comments:

  1. That little boy painting would have been fun to alter.
    I just did a post that you might like about being conflicted when confronted with questionable thrift:

    http://sosylvie.typepad.com/so_sylvie/2013/02/ugly-beauty-the-john-lurie-effect.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your advice about starting a collection.

    ReplyDelete